A Summary Of The Most Common Types of Student Visas

A qualified and experienced immigration attorney may help any individual obtain a student visa to the United States. Depending on the situation, the type of visa will differ. The following is a list of the most common nonimmigrant U.S. student visas:

  • F-1 Visas for Foreign Students;
  • M-1 Visas for Foreign Students.

*Student Visas

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) visa may be appropriate. Enrollment in a short recreational course of study not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate is allowed on a visitor (B) visa.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a limited, finite period of time. As an example, distance learning which requires a period of time on an academic institution’s campus in the United States requires an F-1 visa.

Students must have a student visa to study in the United States. The course of study and the type of school attended determines whether an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa is proper. The “F” visa is for academic studies and issued to students attending an academic program or English Language Program. F1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time student status. The M-1 visa is for a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program.

F-1 and M-1 student visas may be issued up to 120 days in advance of the starting date of a course of study. However, students may not enter the United States in F-1 or M-1 status earlier than 30 days before this start date. Provided that they have maintained student status and their SEVIS records are current, continuing students may renew their visas at any time. They may also enter the United States at any time before the commencement of classes.

Facing a legal dispute or needing legal advocacy requires that citizens know their rights and obligations. Whether your goal is United States Citizenship, a Green Card, or a business, student, or special circumstance visa, the Montefalcon Law Office offers professional representation and is here to help you with qualified legal assistance. Contact us online or schedule a free consultation at any of our three conveniently located offices. Telephone our downtown Sacramento office at (916) 444 0440, our south Sacramento office at (916) 399-9944, or our Concord office at (925) 222-5929.