Obtaining An F-1 Visa: Application And Issuance

Persons who wish to study in the United States must have a student visa. The type of student visa, whether an F-1 or M-1, depends on the individual’s course of study and type of school he or she is attending. In most cases, a student will obtain an F-1 visa. If the student is planning to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution for purposes other than a language training program, then an M-1 visa is appropriate.

There are several steps in applying for a visa. Alberto Montefalcon may assist anyone in applying for an F-1 or M-1 student visa. An F-1 visa is proper when an individual is planning to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution, including enrollment in a language training program.

Before applying at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a student visa, individuals must first apply to and be accepted by an SEVP approved school. Once accepted, the student will be enrolled by the school in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Interviews are generally required for applicants between the ages of 14 and 79, but consular officers may also, in their discretion, require an interview of any applicant, regardless of age.

F-1 and M-1 student visas may be issued up to 120 days in advance of the starting date of a course of study. However, students are not allowed to enter the United States with F-1 or M-1 visas earlier than 30 days before this starting date. Continuing Students may renew their visas at any time, as long as student status and SEVIS records are respectively maintained and current. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before the commencement of their classes.

As the type of visa depends on the situation, it is important to make sure that the appropriate visa is determined before the arduous application process is undertaken. Experienced and knowledgeable, immigration attorney, Alberto Montefalcon, may assist anyone to apply for and obtain any type of visa to the United States.

A qualified immigration attorney will protect your rights whether you wish to become a United States Citizen, obtain a Green Card, or obtain a business, student, or special circumstance visa. The Montefalcon Law Office offers professional representation and legal assistance in all of these situations. Contact us online or schedule a consultation at any of our three conveniently located offices. Telephone our downtown Sacramento office at (916) 444-0440, our South Sacramento office at (916) 399-9944, or our Concord office at (925) 222-5929.